Job Armstrong Store - Chepachet, RI

Glocester Heritage Society

 

 

 

 

Evans Schoolhouse

MORE INFO

Dino's & IGA Pitch In
for the Restoration Fund!

To help contribute to the GHS's many ongoing restoration projects, Dino's Market and the three IGA Markets in Pascoag, Slatersville, and Scituate have agreed to donate 1% of totals on receipts turned in for merchandise purchased at their stores. Turn in your receipts to any GHS Member, bring them with you to our next meeting, or drop them off at the Job Armstrong Store.

PLEASE SHOP AT THESE STORES
AND SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS!

Providence Journal-Bulletin
Nov. 2, 2000

"Relocation of Evans Schoolhouse Approved"

Providence Journal-Bulletin
Aug. 16, 2001

"Hauling History ...
Is that a schoolhouse on the road?"

The Woonsocket Call
June 15, 2003

"New home, new duties
for former schoolhouse"

Around 1867 Glocester resident Daniel Evans built a school house on his land. After seventy years of service, the building fell into disuse and disrepair. Now, nearly 140 years later, the school serves a new generation of students ...


The History of Evans School House
Evans Schoolhouse was built by Daniel Evans on his land about 1867. The schoolhouse was located in Glocester District #2, on Evans Road in East Glocester. Mr. Evans hired the teachers for the school and provided them with room and board. After seventy years of service, the building was returned to the heirs of the original owner.

After many years of disuse, the house was moved to land owned by Marcus & Barbara Thompson. In 2000, the first topic on the Glocester Heritage Society's agenda was the Evans School House. With persistence and perseverance, our goal has finally been accomplished. The grant from the Gregson Foundation enabled us to complete our task without straining the very limited finances of the Society. What a wonderful gift to the Town of Glocester!

On June 15, 2003 a dedication ceremony was held for the restored Evans School House. We sincerely hope the citizens and especially the youth of Glocester will enjoy this bit of history.


Restoration Photos
Photographs by MouseWorks Photography

The foundation was faced with fieldstones and siding was applied as time allowed.
Click on any photo for a larger view.

By June 6, 2002, new custom windows were installed,
and walls and ceiling were prepped for plastering.
Click on any photo for a larger view.

By early June 2003, the interior of the schoolhouse was painted and the floors had been refinished. The exterior sported fresh white paint, granite steps and a gravel walkway. A flagpole was erected in time for the dedication ceremony on June 14th, Flag Day. Nearly a hundred people, including six former Evans School House students (at right), attended the festivities.
Click on any photo for a larger view.


Evans School House Dedication Ceremony
Saturday, June 14, 2003
Photographs by MouseWorks Photography

Click on any photo for a larger view.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Contributors

The Glocester Heritage Society wishes to recognize the generosity of the following who directly contributed to the saving and restoration of The Evans School House ...

Adler Brothers
Frank Anderson
Seth Anderson & Family
Joanne Anderton
Bruce Barnes
David Barnes
Raymond Colwell
Matthew Cowell & Family
Joseph Danti
Jewel Dickamer

Andrew Dunn
Paul F. Fogarty
Bill Fortin
Richard Greenwood
The Gregson Foundation
Louise Knight
Philip Laiho
Kevin LaVoie
David Lohr
Bruce Monfils

Patricia Gregson Nugent
I. Lorraine O'Connors
Jim Poland
Roberta Randall
Mark Rechter
Bradley L. Steere
Barbara Thompson
Marcus Thompson
John Tucciarone

... as well as the members of the Glocester Heritage Society and the many others who contributed
their time, ideas, expertise and enthusiasm towards the successful completion of this project.

Welcome | Calendar | Publications | Archives | Join Us | Contact Us
SOCIETY INFO:
Board of Directors | Committees | Bylaws
PROJECTS:
Endowment Fund | Dr. Reuben Mason House | Evans School House

© 2001-2014 Copyright Glocester Heritage Society. All rights reserved.
No portion of this site may be reproduced without written permission from the Glocester Heritage Society.
1181 Main Street PO Box 269 Chepachet, RI 02814

MouseWorks